It doesn’t matter if you’re in the ideal weight bracket or not, no more than if you’re declared healthy or unhealthy. What matters is that you are cooking at home more than you are eating out to reap the benefits of these two delicious blessings from God: turmeric and garlic.
We should all strive for a healthy body, inside and out, so please don’t think otherwise based on my opening statement. That statement meant that nonwithstanding health and appearance, we need to be cooks of our home so we can include properties from our spice racks and vegetable trays to improve health. Unfortunately, some people may think that they or others have to feel, look, or be in a healthy state to reap the benefits of the blessings God has left us here on earth to remain or become healthy. So regardless of what’s going on or not, you need to include turmeric and garlic into your diet for life. And if you don’t like to cook, someone else in your house should. Why? Because it’s fun! It connects us with our bodies in a different way, and it’s what’s best for us. But, you already knew these three things.
Have you ever had plov? You should. Go to YouTube and learn or make friends with a Russian and have that friend cook it. This dish is beyond delectable and when turmeric hits the dish, awww man! You need to know that I am practicing what I am preaching here. Turmeric makes me literally cry, “Yay,” when I smell it on my food once I sprinkle it onto my raw meat. The aroma is heavenly. The taste? Wow.
Okay, that’s highly unlikely that you’ll listen to me, so, go buy some meat or rice. Sprinkle this beautiful smelling and tasty spice into your meal while it’s cooking. You’ll never eat out again. What? You wanna order Chinese food or pizza? Ask them to make that entree with turmeric. If they say no, hang up! I meant that. But if there’s a special on pizzas . . . (Okay, some Chinese dishes may have it, why can’t you do it?) Whatever your favorite meal is, try making it at home, you’ll thank me.
Okay, no more pussyfooting around. Know this:
- Turmeric is made of bioactive compounds, one in particular, curcumin, that is the most important because this makes it the powerhouse spice that it is. This medicinal spice also gives curry its yellow color and prevents cancer.
- Turmeric, or Indian saffron, is good for blemishes, dark eye circles, brightening the skin, eczema, psoriasis. Make a mask with turmeric, honey, and lime juice or apple cider vinegar.
- Turmeric is good for battling cancer.
- Some studies support the notion that turmeric is good for preventing Alzheimer’s.
- Turmeric is great for fighting inflammation.
- Turmeric is great for arthritis and the heart.
How can YOU consume it?
You wanna know.
- Put it in a smoothie or broth.
- Make a turmeric tea with other spices and almond or coconut milk. Boil for ten minutes.
- Add it to hot foods.
*Should be noted that turmeric CANNOT work at its full potential without the help of black pepper. Add pepper to it to increase its ability to absorb into your system.
Let me preface this whole section on garlic by sharing that I wasn’t the biggest fan of this herb—err, vegetable? I could enjoy it and tolerate it, but up until recently, I wasn’t the biggest fan of garlic. I’d seen the flavor advertised in crackers, rice, sauces, and other places, but it didn’t move me one bit—but perhaps to another flavor. If you feel like me and are tempted to skip this section—don’t!
Look at this. Such a sexy sight. Hmph. You don’t think so, do you? Do you know how excited I get to see a mesh bag of four bulbs of garlic? Or when I slice the bulb in the middle and just watch the cloves fall helplessly to the side? Ughhh. Just bellisimo. Kissing my fingers into the air.
Have you ever eaten rice made by a Peruvian or Salvadorean eatery? Some of them, some, infuse garlic into the rice and the taste is more than what my little heart can bear. But how? Making rice can easily go wrong. It can be served too mushy or undercooked. Unless sticky rice is your goal, the grains should come out flaky, or separated. What do I do to infuse that sexy bulb’s flavor? After rinsing my rice until the water turns clear, (and did you know they say rice water on the scalp is good for hair growth?) I sprinkle Himalayan salt (use your preferred crystal) and mix the dry grains in with my finely-chopped garlic cloves and onions. Then I sprinkle olive oil into the boiling water and ladle the mixture in. I immediately cut down the heat to medium and place a lid on top and stir the rice and add more water as needed, but not too much! I babysit the rice, unlike other foods, I stay close because once you over boil it, there’s no turning back. Voila! Add cilantro and the flavor and aroma are to die for. Oh, yeah, this is with white Jasmine rice.
Now, back to business. If turmerics medicinal property was curcumin, then garlic is allicin, the compound responsible for its smell. And even though Garlic may not be above Turmeric, it sits right below it.
If you don’t respect garlic, you will now because:
- I gotta clear this up right away. Nothing makes me cringe when I hear women placing a clove of garlic straight into their vaginas for . . . ummm, listen guys, I don’t know. Now, I hate to be so left-field with this, but this deserves a bullet point. Ladies, just eating raw garlic cloves—that’s right, pop very fine chopped cloves into your mouth and take it with a glass of water or two, will do what you need an inserted clove to do. You can take more than one if you wish. You won’t need to insert it. Boom. Side note: When I read articles of women using garlic or anything to insert into their vaginas for some benefits, please remember, we need to take probiotics every day for the rest of our whole lives. Now, after this bullet point, which two ingredients listed should help you out for life? Good job.
- Garlic can help with the prevention of heart disease and with ridding plaque in arteries.
- Garlic is good for high blood pressure and lowers cholesterol.
- Garlic obliterates threatening bacteria in the intestines.
- Garlic can shorten the common cold. So when most people suffer for about five days, you may cut your cough down to one and a half days. Take two cloves, at the least. It’s also good for ear aches.
- Check this out: You’ll like this one. Garlic gets that libido going. Feel free to slide some to your man, or suggest some for your woman.
- Garlic is crucial if you’re interested in preventing cancer.
- Because Garlic is thermogenic, so it’s good for your metabolism. Consume ignore raw.
- Garlic can be mixed with an oil and rubbed onto your scalp to stimulate hair growth.
- Garlic attacks the bacteria of a pimple and therefore, placing it on a pimple will destroy it. Raw potato isn’t a bad alternative either, especially if you attack it as soon as you feel the raised skin with the sensitivity underneath.
How can YOU consume it?
- Crushed and raw with water
- As a supplemental pill form
- Cooked and in foods (just know that it women be as potent as the raw form)
- In your food, raw, but be prepared that you’ll be chewing it with your food